#BlackLivesMatter today..and ALWAYS! [+ tips & resources]
I feel like my last few blog posts have highlighted the craziness of 2020 and unfortunately, this one is no different. Here we are..in the middle of a whole pandemic with 100k+ lives lost to COVID-19…and cops STILL (emphasis on still) are killing our black men.
Why? Pure, ignorant racism. I can’t help but think about my 12 year old brother. My father. My cousins. My future husband & kids. If you are not outraged by what’s going on right now…you are the problem. If you are more outraged by property damage instead of innocent lives being lost…you are also the problem. Don’t comment or condemn something you truly don’t have the capacity to understand. This country was built on racism. People have (and still are) protesting peacefully but black men are STILL dying. People are fed up and you can’t judge them on how they’re reacting. Also note that there are people causing mayhem at these protests but they’re not really apart of the movement, the media won’t show you that though. To my white friends and family— PLEASE educate yourself. Recognize your privilege and check your people EVEN WHEN ITS UNCOMFORTABLE. “I’m not racist” just isn’t enough these days.
We are literally living through a chapter in a history book right now. What will you do in order to positively impact this revolution? There are a lot of resources circling around and the amount of information may overwhelm you BUT, fret not! I’ve compiled them all so you can easily access them.
I pray that justice is served. And please know this isn’t a phase, or just a trending topic. This work is never ending. Be vocal. Donate. Volunteer. Educate yourself. Be the change you want to see in this world! God bless <3
#BlackLivesMatter #EnoughisEnough #GeorgeFloyd #AhmaudArbery #BreonnaTaylor
Resources (Last updated 4/4/20)
- Standing United (fav! Great overview/actionable steps)
- Anti-racism resources
- #8CantWait (contact officials in your city to enact policies that can decrease police violence by 72%!)
- Other ways you can help
- aLL LiVeS mAtTeR
- How to respond to “riots never solve anything”!
- Maintaining Professionalism In The Age of Black Death Is….A Lot (all facts.)
- Support protesters in every city
- Resources for Restoration – (Don’t forget about your mental health!)
Black-owned Restaurants to Support
Black-owned Businesses to Support [a few personal favs]
- Anointed Hands Electrical Services (Hampton Roads, VA)
- Lumiere Vive Salon (Oviedo, FL)
- Zion Church (DMV)
- Brianna N Watts Career Consulting Services (Miami, FL)
- Focus 9 Enterprises Tax/Accounting Services (FL/Nola/US)
- Simoon Welness (ATL)
- Cool Kicks (LA/VA)
- Carnal Dish Recipes/Catering (DMV)
- Kitchenista Diaries Recipes/catering (Detroit)
- ThatsChelsea Health & Wellness (LA)
- CURLBOX (ATL)
- Athletes to Visionaries (Orlando/VA)
- Beauty brands: IG list IG list
What are some of your favorite black-owned businesses? Let me know in the comments section below!